I went back to the Zoo on Saturday morning for a few hours, specifically to spend some time with the tigers. It was bright and sunny, not the best for getting good photos, but I'm not going to wait since the cubs will be a lot bigger by the time winter rolls around. Mek, Christopher and Conner were lounging at the top of the hill when I first arrived, taking advantage of cool misters that the keepers recently installed for them. You can still see some of the water droplets on Mek's fur glistening in the sun here.
After about half an hour they decided to wander around for a bit.
Eventually it was time for the keeper to show up and toss them some snacks - in this case chunks of fresh raw meat.
The boys still don't quite seem to get the concept of someone tossing chunks of fresh meat to them, sometimes they just sit there with a clueless look. I'm sure that won't go on too much longer.
After Mek and the little guys went in for the day, their father Paka came out for the afternoon. We heard recently that Paka may be moving to Fresno soon.
On my way back up the Tiger Trail towards the front of the Zoo I stopped for a bit to watch the mandrills. The coloring on these, especially the males, is amazing.
Click here to see more images from the Tiger Trail at the San Diego Zoo on Saturday, Aug 20.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2017 (82)
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- ► 2012 (123)
- San Diego Zoo - Tiger Cubs and One Cool Looking Bi...
- Mother and Child Bonding - at the San Diego Zoo
- Dinner and Some Clicks - Evening Rambles with San ...
- More Malayan Tigers (and a Mandrill)
- Friday Late Afternoon Walk Around the Zoo
- Malayan Tiger Cubs at the San Diego Zoo
- A Lot Can Happen In 20 Seconds
- A Few More From Sunday at the San Diego Zoo
- Sunday at the San Diego Zoo
- San Diego Waterfront & Maritime Museum - SD-dSLR M...
- A Few More Tiger Pictures From Saturday Morning
- Morning Walk Around the San Diego Zoo - Tigers and...
- Chihuly Bridge of Glass - An Evening Stroll in Tac...
- ▼ August (13)
- ► 2010 (99)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.